Today is my birthday.
31 years ago I was gently lifted from my momma's belly, wiped of most my "goo" and handed over to another 31 year old. Mom, are you sure you were old enough to have me?? I still feel very young...also, I know a C-section wasn't your first choice, but I swear my head is still rounder because of it. So thanks!
I was walking home from the gym today – wearing furry snow boots, two pairs of pants, three sweaters and a furry parka, and I thought to myself, "Have I made good life choices?"
There's really nothing like a winter in Chicago to make you question the trajectory of your life. A very sassy friend of mine who recently moved from Chicago to North Carolina sent me a news article informing me that it's currently colder in Chicago than on Mars.
Thanks, Michelle. Suuuuuper helpful.
It was a slow walk home from the gym for many reasons:
- My BodyPump instructor (Leslie, there's nooo chance that you will ever find yourself on a quilting blog, but in the off chance that you accidentally type "quilt pattern" instead of "protein powder" into Google, and by some amazing twist of fate you weren't turned off by my earlier reference to my birthing goo, I want you to know that I don't particularly like lifting weights, but I sure like you.) had eaten a holiday cookie over the weekend and so we aaaall had to pay...with extra push ups.
- It's currently 6 degrees with a wind chill of -20 and all of the sidewalks are covered in a thick layer of ice. So, rather than "walk," let's say "shuffle" home from the gym.
- The realization that nobody made me live here. At the ripe age of 31, I was willingly living in a place that gets colder than Antarctica (FACT). This, of course, caused me to amble along a bit slower and sadder and drift into reverie. How did I get here?
That pathetic half mile shuffle home allowed me to draw two conclusions about my life:
- Love has made me do crazy things. (Like live in Siberia and shave my legs and veeeeery occasionally wear lingerie.)
- Closed doors have shaped me more than success and opportunity.
I'm not going to dive too deeply into those points because the title of this blog post is FREE PATTERN and I've just spent 5 minutes of your life having a mini mental break through. I will say one more thing about getting older – I don't like wrinkles and I don't like my metabolism slowing down and I don't like gray hair.
What? Did you think I was going to end on something insightful and uplifting? girrrrl, you're on the wrong blog. Now, let's get to the pattern!
I made this quilt from start to finish in 2 days. I don't know if that is healthy and I would probably recommend spacing this out over a few more days, BUT, I tell you this so you know that it is possible. With the raw edge appliqué technique, you can actually quilt while you appliqué. Sweet, right?