New year, new quilts! It's time to launch the first SQ sew along of 2021. Hip hip HOORAY! The Gather quilt pattern, the fourth pattern release of 2020, builds on a lot of the skills gained through making the previous three patterns – Grow, Thrive and Shine.
Each of those patterns includes a sew along, so if you have an interest in going back and making them, all of the extra tips, fabric inspo and helpful videos will always be available to you in the Sew Along tab.
The fabric used in the quilt above is from the Kismet collection by Sharon Holland for Art Gallery Fabrics. The backing is called Burgeon Forth from the Kismet line and the coordinating solids are PURE Art Gallery solids with the main background fabric being Vanilla Custard.
2020 Quilt Pattern Series
2020 was a..."special" year. We experienced some major changes globally, locally and, if you're like me, personally. One phenomena I witnessed was an unprecedented interest in learning how to sew.
With so many restrictions forcing us to isolate from each other, it was truly amazing to see an explosion in the world of creative sewing and a fresh gathering of makers finding one another through social media and here on the SQ blog!
So even though the name Gather for the final pattern in our 2020 series may seem ironic, from where I'm sitting, it's actually quite accurate. Our innate need to create and share that creativity with others cannot be squashed, even during the most crushing of circumstances.
So in this first sew along of a new year, we will gather together and support each other in our shared love of sewing and our passion for making. Can I get an Amen?!
Here's a quick recap of our four patterns in 2020:
- Grow Quilt Pattern (Download) - focus skill: cutting and sewing strips and creating a medallion style quilt
- Thrive Quilt Pattern (Download) - focus skill: sewing blocks on point
- Shine Quilt Pattern (Download) - focus skill: improv cutting and sewing
- Gather Quilt Pattern (Download) - focus skill: cutting and sewing HSTs and building a quilt top asymmetrically
Gather Sew Along Main Points
- Who: You! Us! Anyone who wants to participate can join. There is no official sign-up, but lots of different ways to participate. Read below for more details.
- What: We will make a throw Gather quilt. You can purchase the PDF pattern here.
- Where: Everything is online. Updates will be posted on this blog and, on Instagram and in the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group.
- When: January 20 - March 9, 2021
- Why: Follow along with the hashtag on Instagram and see what hundreds of other quilters are making. It's really inspiring! Plus there are prizes... (more on that below).
After posting this photo on Instagram I got a lot of questions about machine quilting and, specifically, straight line quilting. My lovely Quiltketeers, I have a tutorial for that! Check out – 6 Tips for Straight Line Machine Quilting (a.k.a. Matchstick Quilting).
Can you find the backing seam in the photo above? You probably can, but if you weren't looking for it, I bet it could be easily missed! I used a simple technique to "seamlessly" match my quilt backing print because the thought of chopping off a puppy face was just too sad to me 😉
Check out the tutorial - Match a Print Seamlessly On Your Quilt Back.
The fabrics used in the quilt above are all Birch Fabrics and at the time of this post can be found at Fabricworm. The adorable doggie backing is called Dog Park by Jenny Ronen for Birch Organic Fabrics.
What Does a Suzy Quilts Sew Along Look Like?
If you participated in our other community sew alongs, this process will look very similar. In a nutshell, a SQ sew along is when a group of the coolest and most talented people in the world get together virtually (a.k.a. online) and sew the same pattern (in this case, Gather) over a set amount of time. We have weekly "assignments" and post our progress online for everyone to see!
The really exciting thing is that with a potentially tricky sewing pattern (like an asymmetrical build), nobody has to muddle through alone. There will be lots of support via Instagram, Facebook and through this very blog.
The Gather Sew Along Includes:
- Prizes! Every week by posting your progress to Instagram and using #GatherQuiltSA you will be entered into that week's giveaway. Each week is sponsored by an amazing company, to award one lucky person a free prize! You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Skill sharing. The great thing about sharing knowledge is that you can gather everyone's opinions and then form your own! I bet we'll all come out on the other side with new skills.
- Support. My fellow sewers, I’m here for you – in mind, body, and quilt. Here’s what support for this sew along will include:
- A weekly blog post explaining your "homework assignment," any helpful tips, and what I’m working on. A new post will go live every Wednesday morning around 8:00am Central (I'm in Chicago...so that time zone).
- A weekly newsletter will go out the following Saturday morning reminding you about the week's prompt. If you're not already signed up for the SQ newsletter, sign up here!
- A Facebook group for any and all questions that we can answer as a team or I can answer myself. Ya’ll know how obsessed I am with the Suzy Quilts Patterns FB group. The group dynamic is positive, uplifting, helpful, and I am always learning from the other members. This group will remain a forum for all SQ patterns, but during the Gather Sew Along it will be a great place for questions about the Gather pattern and sew along specifics. I will also be posting videos and Live Q&A sessions in both the FB group and on Instagram.
- Live video events on both Instagram and Facebook. These will be most Wednesdays at 7:30pm CST for the duration of the sew along. I'm supposed to have a baby on April 6 so some nights I may just not show up. 😉
Gather Quilt Sew Along Schedule
- Week 1, January 20: Pick fabric and gather supplies
- Week 2, January 27: Cut all fabric
- Week 3, February 3: Sew, trim and press HSTs for Colors 1-5
- Week 4, February 10: Sew, trim and press HSTs for Colors 6-9
- Week 5, February 17: Sew HSTs into rows
- Week 6, February 24: Sew strips as needed and assemble the quilt top up to row k
- Week 7, March 3: Assemble the rest of the quilt top and trim
How to Participate
By signing up for the Suzy Quilts newsletter you will get updates on the sew along. After that, your level of involvement is completely up to you.
- Sign up for the weekly newsletter to be reminded of the week's prompts.
- Check back here on the blog for weekly prompts and answers to comments.
- Join the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group for more group discussion and videos.
- Surf #GatherQuiltSA on Instagram to see what others are making and use the hashtag yourself when posting pics to win prizes!
Sew Along Supplies
Sponsors & Prizes
Each week we will go into more detail about these prizes and our wonderful sponsors, but here's a taste of what to look forward to! And don't forget that the only way to enter to win a prize is to use #GatherQuiltSA on Instagram AND have a public profile. If you only have a private profile, you can create a public one just for this sew along and then delete it afterwards.
- Week 1: Fabricworm - Birch Organic Fabrics Gather quilt kit (the same as the one you see above!)
- Week 2: Fabric Stork - Specially made Gather quilt kit including backing and binding fabric (seen here!)
- Week 3: Lamb & Loom Fabrics $100 gift certificate
- Week 4: Cottoneer Fabrics FQ bundle
- Week 5: Sewing Arts Center
- Week 6: Saltwater Fabrics $100 gift certificate
- Week 7: Lavender Fields - FREE longarm quilting!
Prizes will be awarded at the end of the week around 4:00 p.m. Central. So for example, Week 1 entries will be open at 12:00 a.m. Central on Wednesday, January 20 and officially end at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 26. The prize for that week will be announced at approximately 4:00 p.m.
Weekly winners will be picked randomly. More details and guidelines will be given in each week's blog post. The schedule of sponsored prizes is subject to change.