We're back with Week 2 of the Grow quilt sew along! This week we let out our inner tiger and do lots of ripping and roaring. Are you ready to get wild??
If you're finding this sew along for the first time, be sure to check out our first introductory post so you know all about the great prizes and schedule for each week.
Sew Along Recap
In Week 1 of our Grow sew along we finalized our quilt pattern layouts and picked our fabric. We also prepped our fabric by prewashing everything....right?
If you haven't prewashed your fabric yet, I highly recommend doing that before continuing on with cutting. We cover why prewashing is important in the Week 1 post, so flip back and read that if you're thinking about skipping the prep step.
And that's it! Once your fabric is prewashed and ironed it's ready for Week 2.
If you are adding the optional meditation portion of this sew along, before you start cutting take a moment to be still. Sit down, with both feet on the floor, and place some of your fabric in your lap.
Close your eyes and feel the fabric. What do you love about it? How has your relationship with texture and fabric changed since you started sewing? What is your intention for this time of creating? To relax? To learn? To work through pent up energy?
Take some deep breaths and feel the weight of your body in the chair all the way down to the weight of your feet on the floor. Think about the power of connecting your mind and your body – your thoughts and your actions. You have so much beauty and creativity inside you!
Open your eyes and pause to recognize this moment of clarity and peace you just gave yourself.
Let's Get Cutting!
Since you prewashed your fabric you know for certain the vertical and horizontal threads that make up your fabric are no longer distorted or stretched from being on a bolt. That's great news because the next thing we're going to do is rip it up.
No, we won't rip every strip, but we will snip through one of the selvages, close to the edge of the fabric, and rip from one selvage to the other. If your rip doesn't make it from selvage to selvage, snip again and rip again until it does.
The reason we do this is to get the edge of our fabric on grain. But Suzy, why does it matter if our fabric is on grain? We're not making a dress!
Yes, true, but we are cutting long strips and those tend to bow at the center if your fabric is cut off grain. Check out this quick video to see what I mean...
Cutting straight strips doesn't require any special tools other than the basic ones you probably already have. If you want to know what tools I use in the video above they are...
The Week 2 Prize
We've got two prizes this week again, but this time we're picking two separate winners! Yeehaw! Our first sponsor is Canada's newest online fabric store, Stacked Fabric Company. They are giving away a $50 gift card!
The second sponsor is MaechenMarie, maker exdroididaire of beautiful quilted bags. She is giving away THIS fabulous bag! Drool...
How to Win
- Post a pic to Instagram. The photo prompt for Instagram this week is to post a picture of some cut fabric or if you are still gathering fabric, a picture of that. Basically, unless you post a really off-topic pic just use #GrowQuiltSA in the caption and you're entered in the giveaway.
- You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Each photo posted is an entry and you can enter as many times as you want in a single week. Once the week is over, those posts do not count in the next week's giveaway. Every week we start fresh.
- Your photo must be posted between 12:00 a.m. CT on Wednesday, April 8, 2020 and 1:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, April 14, 2020.
- These prizes are open internationally!
- The winner will be picked randomly from all qualifying posts and announced at approximately 4:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, April 14, 2020.
Sew Along Coupons
- Oliso - 20% off all smart irons with coupon code SUZYQUILTS20 - an awesome ongoing deal!
- Eleventh House Quilt Studio - 15% off longarm services if you mention this Grow sew along. Expires May 12, 2020.
- Modern Makes Box - 15% off your first subscription box. Coupon includes monthly, 3 month, and 6 month subscriptions. Enter SUZY15 at checkout. Expires May 12, 2020.
- Handmade Longarm Quilting - 20% off longarm quilting services for all Grow quilts. Expires July 31, 2020.
- Sweet Little Quilts - 20% off longarm quilting for all Grow quilts. Must mention this sew along on order form. Discount does not apply on return shipping. Expires May 31, 2020.