Let's Grow together! Starting April 1, 2020 we will launch SQ's third sew along featuring the Grow quilt pattern. This modern medallion quilt is fun, surprisingly fast and, after sewing just a few strips together, will give you a wonderful jolt of instant gratification.
With most quilts you sew block after block and then have to wait until the end to fully visualize what the quilt will look like. Not with a medallion! As this quilt grows from the center you will see its beauty unfold after only a few seams. And isn't that a nice change?
What Does a Suzy Quilts Sew Along Look Like?
If you participated in our other community sew alongs, this process will look very similar. In a nutshell, a SQ sew along is when a group of the coolest and most talented people in the world get together virtually (a.k.a. online) and sew the same pattern (Grow) over a set amount of time. We have weekly "assignments" and post our progress online for everyone to see!
The really exciting thing is that with a potentially tricky sewing pattern (like a strippy medallion), nobody has to muddle through alone. There will be lots of support via Instagram, Facebook and through this very blog.
This Sew Along Includes:
- Prizes! Every week by posting your progress to Instagram and using #GrowQuiltSA you will be entered into that week's giveaway. Each week is sponsored by an amazing company, hand picked by me, to award one lucky person a free prize! You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Skill sharing. I sew strips a certain way, but someone else may have another way. The great thing about sharing knowledge is that you can gather everyone's opinions and then form your own! I bet we'll all come out on the other side with new skills.
- Support. My fellow strip sewers...no, that won't do. You need a nickname. I think you know where I'm going with this...My fellow strippers, I’m here for you – in mind, body, and quilt. Here’s what support for this sew along will include:
- A weekly blog post explaining your "homework assignment," any helpful tips, and what I’m working on. A new post will go live every Wednesday morning around 8:00am Central (I'm in Chicago...so that time zone).
- A weekly newsletter will go out the following Saturday morning reminding you about that week's prompt. If you're not already signed up for the SQ newsletter, sign up here!
- A Facebook group for any and all questions that we can answer as a team or I can answer myself. Ya’ll know how obsessed I am with the Suzy Quilts Patterns FB group. The group dynamic is positive, uplifting, helpful, and I am always learning from the other members. This group will remain a forum for all SQ patterns, but during the Grow Sew Along it will be a great place for questions about the pattern and sew along specifics. I will also be posting videos and Live Q&A sessions in both the FB group and on Instagram.
When: April 1, 2020
We will be starting April 1, but you can hop in at any time. These blog posts won't expire, so even after the sew along is over, you're still welcome to participate!
Duration: 6 weeks, with the final week starting on May 6, 2020. This schedule is intended for making a throw quilt.
- Week 1, April 1:
Task: Pick fabric, gather supplies and choose your pattern layout (if different from the original)
Optional Meditation: What is your intention for this time? To learn? To relax? To get your creative juices flowing? To work through some anxious energy? Sit for a moment and set a clear intention. This can change day to day!
- Week 2, April 8:
Task: Cut all strips and borders
Optional Meditation: Hold some of your fabric in your hands, close your eyes, and feel its weight and texture. What do you love about fabric? How has that changed since you started sewing?
- Week 3, April 15:
Task: Sew Blocks A-D
Optional Meditation: Before turning on your iron or sewing machine, pause for a minute to close your eyes and take some deep breaths. Listen to your body’s natural rhythm. How have you personally grown as a creative person? No judgement here. Only love.
- Week 4, April 22:
Task: Sew Blocks E-H
Optional Meditation: Close your eyes. Let your shoulders relax. How have you grown as a friend to others? How have you grown as a friend to yourself? Remember, no judgement 😉
- Week 5, April 29:
Task: Sew Fig. 6-12
Optional Meditation: Sit by your sewing machine. Breathe in with the count of one and out with the count of two. After counting to ten, start again. Do this a few times or until you feel relaxed. Think about how grateful you are for your sewing machine. What a blessing it is!
- Week 6, May 6:
Task: Sew Fig. 13-18
Optional Meditation: After taking some breaths and feeling at ease, lift your heart up and picture warm sunshine streaming onto your face. Enjoy this sense of warmth and lightness. Enjoy the feeling of being happy in your accomplishments!
How to Participate
By signing up for the Suzy Quilts newsletter you will get updates on the sew along. After that, your level of involvement is completely up to you.
- Sign up for the weekly newsletter to be reminded of the week's prompts.
- Check back here on the blog for weekly prompts and answers to comments.
- Join the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group for more group discussion and videos.
- Use hashtag #GrowQuiltSA on Instagram when posting pics so that you can win prizes!
** 1 1/4 yd. is enough to back the baby quilt, but only leaves a small amount of overage on the sides.
Sponsors & Prizes
Each of these prizes is a minimum value of $50! Remember, the only way to enter each week's giveaway is to post a picture of your Grow quilt progress using #GrowQuiltSA on Instagram. You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Week 1, April 1: Fabric Stork - Grow throw quilt kit including backing and binding AND Oliso - Free Smart Iron and Mini Project Iron (Shipping only to those in the USA and Canada.)
- Week 2, April 8: Stacked Fabric Company - $50 gift card
- Week 3, April 15: Eleventh House Quilt Studio - Free edge-to-edge longarm quilting
- Week 4, April 22: Modern Makes Box - Free Modern Makes Box AND Handmade Longarm Quilting - $50 off longarm quilting
- Week 5, April 29: Lamb and Loom - $50 gift card
- Week 6, May 6: Sweet Little Quilts - Free longarm quilting (all costs included)
Prizes will be awarded at the end of the week around 4:00pm Central. (eg. Week 1 entries will be open at 12:00 a.m. Central on April 1 and officially end at 1:00 p.m. on Tues, April 7. The prize for that week will be announced at approximately 4:00pm.)
Weekly winners will be picked randomly. More details and guidelines will be given in each week's blog post. The schedule of sponsored prizes is subject to change.
Some of our sponsors have fabulous deals starting NOW!
- Oliso - 20% off all smart irons with coupon code SUZYQUILTS20 - an awesome ongoing deal!
- Eleventh House Quilt Studio - 15% off longarm services if you mention this Grow sew along. Expires May 12, 2020.
- Modern Makes Box - 15% off your first subscription box. Coupon includes monthly, 3 month, and 6 month subscriptions. Enter SUZY15 at checkout. Expires May 12, 2020.
- Handmade Longarm Quilting - 20% off longarm quilting services for all Grow quilts. Expires July 31, 2020.
- Sweet Little Quilts - 20% off longarm quilting for all Grow quilts. Must mention this sew along on order form. Discount does not apply on return shipping. Expires May 31, 2020.
- Lamb and Loom - 20% off with code SUZYQUILTS at checkout. Expires April 1, 2020. Does not apply to pre-orders.