Welcome back to the Mod Mountains quilt sew along! Click here to get your Mod Mountains quilt pattern and scroll to the bottom of this post for this week's prize details. If you are just hearing about this sew along for the first time, I encourage you to read this introductory blog post on all of the details, prizes and schedule. If you would prefer a shorter, bulleted list, check out the Mod Mountains Week 1 recap.
Mod Mountains Sew Along Schedule
- Week 1, April 10: Pick fabric and gather supplies. If you would like to change the layout of the mountains, finalize your altered layout.
- Week 2, April 17: Extra time to gather fabric and supplies
- Week 3, April 24: Cut fabric
- Week 4, May 1: Sew Color 2 triangles
- Week 5, May 8: Sew Color 3 triangles
- Week 6, May 15: Sew 5 triangle rows together
- Week 7, May 22: Sew the remaining 5 triangle rows together
- Week 8, May 29: Sew all rows together and add the borders
After two weeks of sorting through scraps, shopping for fabric and getting supplies, we are finally on to cutting! Week 3 has us cutting all of our fabric. In the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group there was a bit of confusion about how to cut triangles the right size with a flat-top ruler.
The Mod Mountains quilt pattern includes a templates for a 6 ¾" high 60-degree triangle with a pointy top. I based that template on my favorite 60-degree triangle ruler, the Clearview Triangle Ruler. This template, known as Template A in the pattern, can be used interchangeably with this ruler, as well as other 60-degree rulers with the same shape.
If you have a flat-top 60-degree triangle ruler you can still use it, but with one small adjustment. Rather than cutting your WOF strips 6 ¾" wide, cut them 6 ½" wide. These flat-top rulers are designed to pre-trim the dog ears, so a ¼" needs to be pre-trimmed from your strip.
Make sense? No? Well, you aren't alone, so that's why I recorded a video that shows exactly what I mean.
The assignment for some weeks will take you longer than others, so if you are running short on time, and need to finish your cutting next week, that's totally fine. You won't fall behind. Like I said from the beginning, this is a leisurely sew along and as long as you're making some progress, you're doing great. Heck, if you merely think about Mod Mountains during this sew along, I think you deserve a pat on the back.
What is it about pretty scraps and selvages that I find so relaxing? Mmmm...ahhhh....
The Week 3 Prize
Week 3 is sponsored by the fun, fresh and relatively new division of Northcott, Figo Fabrics. Figo is a Canadian-based company that produces modern fabric from designers with various backgrounds in surface design. I got especially excited by the linen blend Surface line, so I made a special request for it to be the prize this week!
I will also be using a print from this line as the backing for my Mod Mountains quilt.
How to Win the Week 3 Prize:
- Photo prompt for Instagram: Post a picture of your Mod Mountains progress. It can really be anything. Don't overthink it, just be sure to use #ModMountainsSA.
- You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Each photo posted is an entry and you can enter as many times as you want in a single week. Once the week is over, those posts do not count in the next week's giveaway. Every week we start fresh.
- Your photo must be posted between 12:00 a.m. CT on Wednesday, April 24, 2019 and 1:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, May 1, 2019.
- This prize is not open to international contestants.
- The winners will be picked randomly from all qualifying posts and announced on Instagram at approximately 4:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, May 1, 2019.
Sew Along Discounts
Lady Belle Quilting is currently offering 20% off edge-to-edge longarm quilting services on one quilt if you mention this Suzy Quilts promotion in the special notes section of your order. This offer expires June 30, 2019.
Finch Knitting and Sewing Studio is offering 15% off online and in person purchases with coupon code MODMTS15 during the duration of the Mod Mountains sew along. This is a one time offer valid on your entire order. Cannot be combined with other sales or coupons. Expires at the end of the Mod Mountains sew along, June 4, 2019.
Oliso irons are always 20% off with code suzyquilts20. This is an ongoing thing, but just thought you should know 😉