You did it! You made it to the end of the Mod Mountains sew along. Eight whole weeks of cutting, sewing and pressing triangles and now in just a few more days you will have a finished quilt top. Give yourself a round of applause!!
There were times when I didn't know if I was going to get my act together and finish, but seeing your beautiful, creative mountain tops on Instagram and in the Facebook group encouraged me to keep fighting the good fight. The fight to quilt!
If you're reading about this sew along for the first time, I encourage you to check out the Sew Along tab and visit all of the posts. We've covered every single step of making this Mod Mountains quilt through either video tutorials or photo tutorials and usually both.
Click here to get your Mod Mountains quilt pattern and scroll to the bottom of this post for this week's prize details. For a full rundown on what a sew along is and how this one works, read this introductory blog post on all of the details, prizes and schedule. If you would prefer a shorter, bulleted list, check out the Mod Mountains Week 1 recap.
Mod Mountains Sew Along Schedule
- Week 1, April 10: Pick fabric and gather supplies. If you would like to change the layout of the mountains, finalize your altered layout
- Week 2, April 17: Extra time to gather fabric and supplies
- Week 3, April 24: Cut fabric
- Week 4, May 1: Sew Color 2 triangles
- Week 5, May 8: Sew Color 3 triangles
- Week 6, May 15: Sew 5 triangle rows together
- Week 7, May 22: Sew the remaining 5 triangle rows together
- Week 8, May 29: Sew all rows together and add the borders
Mod Mountains Sew Along Week 8
In Weeks 6 and 7 we sewed our triangles into rows, and now it's time to sew those rows into a quilt top. I have two tips for you this week. As long as you keep these two simple things in mind you will have enormous success in sewing rows.
Tip 1: Sew across the tip intersection when sewing rows together.
At this stage two rows are stacked on top of each other with right sides together. The edges are lined up and everything is pinned. Once you are sewing, fudge what you've gotta fudge (even if it's slightly more or less than a ¼") to sew across the tip of the triangle's intersection. Check out the photo below to see what I mean.
And because two examples are always better than one, here's another...
Now I'll flip this row open so you can see how nice this mountain top turned out.
Tip 2: Press your row seams open.
Last week when you were sewing triangles into rows, I suggested that you press your seams to the side – preferably to the side of the darker fabric. This week, because our rows have different areas of bulk, I'm going to suggest that you press your seams open. I also think this is prime time to use a bit of steam and a Tailor's Clapper.
I even filmed a video to demonstrate exactly how I do it. Spoiler alert: you don't need anything fancy. In fact, you'll notice that my ironing board cover has a massive hole...which I'm not proud of, but haven't had the energy to replace.
I'm not sure if you can tell in a photo how flat my seams are, but just know that even if I were to fold up this up and throw it in a closet, these seams would stay pretty much intact. The magic of the Clapper, baby.
The Grand Prize!!
Are you ready for the big finale?? A LauraStar iron!! You may not be familiar with how awesome LauraStar irons are, but let me tell you that they are just as magical as the Tailor's Clapper (and about $480 more expensive.) I didn't use that iron in my video demo above because I wanted to show you that you don't neeeed a fancy iron to get flat seams.
BUT. Who really neeeeds luxury items? They just make life easier and better and funner. So let's get down to the nitty gritty. How can you win this fabulous LauraStar Lift Pure White iron?
How to Win the Week 8 Prize:
- Photo prompt for Instagram: Post a picture of your finished Mod Mountains quilt top. The top must be at least a throw size. progress. Use #ModMountainsSA.
- You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Each photo posted is an entry and you can enter as many times as you want in a single week. Once the week is over, those posts do not count in the next week's giveaway. Every week we start fresh.
- Your photo must be posted between 12:00 a.m. CT on Wednesday, May 29, 2019 and 1:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, June 4, 2019.
- This prize is open to international contestants.
- The winner will be picked randomly from all qualifying posts and announced on Instagram at approximately 4:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, June 4, 2019.
Sew Along Discount
Lady Belle Quilting is currently offering 20% off edge-to-edge longarm quilting services on one quilt if you mention this Suzy Quilts promotion in the special notes section of your order. This offer expires June 30, 2019.
Finch Knitting and Sewing Studio is offering 15% off online and in person purchases with coupon code MODMTS15 during the duration of the Mod Mountains sew along. This is a one time offer valid on your entire order. Cannot be combined with other sales or coupons. Expires at the end of the Mod Mountains sew along, June 4, 2019.