It's time to Shine! Starting September 23, 2020 we will launch the final sew along of the year featuring the Shine quilt pattern. Shine is the third design in a series of four quilts that represent the four seasons in a year. Grow and Thrive were our previous quilt patterns and quilt alongs (check out the sew along tab for detailed, week-by-week information on those) and in a few weeks I will announce our final pattern release – Gather.
But I'm getting ahead of myself. For now, we are SHINING! The primary skill involved in making this quilt is improvisational cutting. Instead of cutting traditional straight strips, in this design, we vary the width of our strips to create completely unique blocks.
Shine Sew Along Main Points
- Who: You! Us! Anyone who wants to participate can join. There is no official sign-up, but lots of different ways to participate. Read below for more details.
- What: We will make a throw Shine quilt. You can purchase the PDF pattern here.
- Where: Everything is online, which is just sooooo 2020. haha! Updates will be posted on this blog and also on Instagram and in the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group.
- When: September 23 - November 10, 2020
- Why: Following along with the hashtag on Instagram and seeing what hundreds of other quilters are making is really inspiring! Plus there are prizes... 😉
And here's one more of my sweet Desi and his baby Shine quilt because I can't help myself...
What Does a Suzy Quilts Sew Along Look Like?
If you participated in our other community sew alongs, you know the drill. Basically, a SQ sew along is when a group of the coolest and most talented people in the world get together virtually (a.k.a. online) and sew the same pattern (Shine) over a set amount of time. We have weekly "assignments" and post our progress online for everyone to see! Oh! And prizes! We've got some amazing prizes for you!
The really exciting thing is that with an out-of-the-box pattern, like this improv design, nobody has to muddle through alone. There will be lots of support via Instagram, Facebook and through this very blog.
The Shine Sew Along Includes:
- Prizes! Every week by posting your progress to Instagram and using #ShineQuiltSA you will be entered into that week's giveaway. Each week is sponsored by an amazing company, hand picked by me, to award one lucky person a free prize! You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Skill sharing. I sew strips a certain way, but someone else may have another way. The great thing about sharing knowledge is that you can gather everyone's opinions and then form your own! I bet we'll all come out on the other side with new skills.
- Support. My fellow strip sewers...no, that won't do. You need a nickname. I think you know where I'm going with this...My fellow strippers, I’m here for you – in mind, body, and quilt. Here’s what support for this sew along will include:
- A weekly blog post explaining your "homework assignment," any helpful tips, and what I’m working on. A new post will go live every Wednesday morning around 8:00am Central (I'm in Chicago...so that time zone).
- A weekly newsletter will go out the following Saturday morning reminding you about that week's prompt. If you're not already signed up for the SQ newsletter, sign up here!
- A Facebook group for any and all questions that we can answer as a team or I can answer myself. Ya’ll know how obsessed I am with the Suzy Quilts Patterns FB group. The group dynamic is positive, uplifting, helpful, and I am always learning from the other members. This group will remain a forum for all SQ patterns, but during the Shine Sew Along it will be a great place for questions about the pattern and sew along specifics. I will also be posting videos and Live Q&A sessions in both the FB group and on Instagram.
- Live video events on both Instagram and Facebook. These will be on Thursdays at 7:30pm CST for the duration of the sew along.
Shine Quilt Sew Along Schedule
- Week 1, September 23: Pick fabric, gather supplies and choose your pattern layout (if different from the original)
- Week 2, September 30: Extra time gathering fabric and cut background fabric
- Week 3, October 7: Cut and sew 4 blocks
- Week 4, October 14: Cut and sew 4 blocks
- Week 5, October 21: Cut and sew 4 blocks
- Week 6, October 28: Cut and sew 4 blocks
- Week 7, November 4: Assemble the quilt top
When you don't have time to hand quilt all by yourself, you bring in your friends to help! My friend, Caitlyn, spent an entire weekend listening to audiobooks and watching movies while helping me hand quilt. Isn't she the best!?
Hand quilting is such a beautiful way to finish a Shine quilt. For a full tutorial with video, check out this blog post - How to Hand Quilt.
How to Participate
By signing up for the Suzy Quilts newsletter you will get updates on the sew along. After that, your level of involvement is completely up to you.
- Sign up for the weekly newsletter to be reminded of the week's prompts.
- Check back here on the blog for weekly prompts and answers to comments.
- Join the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group for more group discussion and videos.
- Use hashtag #ShineQuiltSA on Instagram when posting pics so that you can win prizes!
Sew Along Supplies
Sponsors & Prizes
Each week we will go into more detail about these prizes and our wonderful sponsors, but here's a taste of what to look forward to!