Welcome! Welcome to the start of another fantastic sew along! The Voyage quilt pattern is great for beginners because it only uses two different pieced blocks rotated and repeated to form a dynamic design. Trust me when I say this quilt looks much more complicated than it actually is.
If you have enjoyed our past sew alongs, than get excited for more great tips, videos, community inspiration and support, and of course, PRIZES! These blog posts will always be available to you in the Sew Along tab, so if something comes up and you need to push pause on the sewing for a while, no worries! You know where to find us.
The above Voyage throw quilt was made by Courtney Rae Richards.
Voyage Sew Along Main Points
- Who: You! Us! Anyone who wants to participate can join. There is no official sign-up, but lots of different ways to participate. Read below for more details.
- What: We will make a throw Voyage quilt. You can purchase the PDF pattern here.
- Where: Everything is online. Sew along updates will be posted on this blog and, on Instagram and in the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group.
- When: March 30 - May 18, 2021
- Why: Follow along with the hashtag (#VoyageQuiltSA) on Instagram and see what hundreds of other quilters are making. It's really inspiring! Plus there are prizes... (more on that below).
The above Voyage throw quilt was made by Maggie Pascoe.
What Does a SQ Sew Along Look Like?
If you participated in our other community sew alongs, this process will look very similar. In a nutshell, a SQ sew along is when a group of the coolest and most talented people in the world get together virtually (a.k.a. online) and sew the same pattern (in this case, Voyage) over a set amount of time. We have weekly "assignments" and post our progress online for everyone to see!
In the end you will have a finished Voyage throw quilt. Yes, you can make whatever size you want, but this timeline will be assuming you're making the throw size.
The above Voyage throw quilt was made by Nuria of Fabric Stork.
The really exciting thing is that if you're new to quilting, there is lots of support and places to ask questions. But even if you have been quilting for ages and always have at least four different projects going at once, a sew along is the best way to stay motivated and accountable. We'll know if you don't finish! 😉
The above Voyage baby quilt was made by Isabel Kelly.
The Voyage Sew Along Includes:
- A NEW host! That's right folks, I, Suzy Williams, am on the verge of having baby #2 so the fabulous and incredibly capable SQ Communications Manager, Laura Hopper, will be taking the lead on this sew along. I'll still pop in now and again (based on how well this new child of mine sleeps) so I won't be completely absent.
- Prizes! Every week by posting your progress to Instagram and using #VoyageQuiltSA you will be entered into that week's giveaway. Each week is sponsored by an amazing company, to award one lucky person a free prize! You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Skill sharing. The great thing about sharing knowledge is that you can gather everyone's opinions and then form your own! I bet we'll all come out on the other side with new skills.
- Support. My fellow sewers, this sewing community is here for you! Here’s what support for this sew along will include:
- A weekly blog post explaining your "homework assignment," any helpful tips, and what Laura is working on. A new post will go live every Tuesday afternoon around 4:00pm Central (SQ HQ is in Chicago...so that time zone).
- A weekly newsletter will go out the following Saturday morning reminding you about the week's prompt. If you're not already signed up for the SQ newsletter, sign up here!
- A Facebook group for any and all questions that we can answer as a team or Laura can answer herself. Ya’ll know how obsessed I am with the Suzy Quilts Patterns FB group. The group dynamic is positive, uplifting, helpful, and I am always learning from the other members. This group will remain a forum for all SQ patterns, but during the Voyage Sew Along it will be a great place for questions about the Voyage pattern and sew along specifics. Laura will also be posting videos and Live Q&A sessions in both the FB group and on Instagram.
- Live video events on both Instagram and Facebook. These will be most Wednesdays at 7:30pm CST for the duration of the sew along. Check in here on Tuesdays and on social media to see if there will be a video that week.
The above Voyage baby quilt was made by Kelly-Anne Bernardy.
Voyage Quilt Sew Along Schedule
- Week 1, March 31: Pick fabric and gather supplies
- Week 2, April 7: Cut fabric
- Week 3, April 14: Make HSTs - video tutorial
- Week 4, April 21: Make HRTs and finish HST overflow if more time is needed - video tutorial
- Week 5, April 28: Chain piece blocks together - video tutorial
- Week 6, May 5: Assemble blocks
- Week 7, May 12: Sew blocks into rows to make the finished quilt top; discuss quilting ideas
How to Participate
By signing up for the Suzy Quilts newsletter you will get updates on the sew along. After that, your level of involvement is completely up to you.
- Sign up for the weekly newsletter to be reminded of the week's prompts.
- Check back here on the blog for weekly prompts and answers to comments.
- Join the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group for more group discussion and videos.
- Surf #VoyageQuiltSA on Instagram to see what others are making and use the hashtag yourself when posting pics to win prizes!
The above Voyage throw quilt was made by Brittney Frey.
Sew Along Supplies
Sponsors & Prizes
Each week we will go into more detail about these prizes and our wonderful sponsors, but here's a taste of what to look forward to! And don't forget that the only way to enter to win a prize is to use #VoyageQuiltSA on Instagram AND have a public profile. If you only have a private profile, you can create a public one just for this sew along and then delete it afterwards.
- Week 1: Cottoneer - $50 gift certificate AND Noodle and Bee - winner's choice of quilt t-shirt
- Week 2: Broadway Fabrics - $100 gift certificate
- Week 3: Aurifil - thread set AND Modern American Vintage - handmade tailor's clapper
- Week 4: Traveling Dye Co. - winner's choice of hand-dyed fabric bundle
- Week 5: Fabric Stork - fat quarter bundle
- Week 6: Lamb and Loom - $100 gift certificate
- Week 7: Lavender Fields Co - free longarm quilting on a throw quilt