Welcome to the first annual We Sew Together sew along for charity! This four-week sew along allows lots of flexibility, but doesn't skimp on coupons and prizes. Over the next month we, as an online community, will sew any quilt pattern you choose for any charity from this list – The Ultimate Guide to Quilt Donations: A List of Where and How to Donate Quilts.
Is there a charity you love that didn't make it on the list? No problem! Add it to the comments in the post above and viola, it's on the list! Read below for details on how to participate, what the schedule looks like, and coupons just for you!
How to Participate in the We Sew Together 2020: Sew Along for Charity
- When is the sew along? We officially begin on Wednesday, August 26 and the final prize will be announced on Tuesday, September 22.
- How do I join the sew along? Similarly to other Suzy Quilts sew alongs, there's no official sign-up and technically the only thing you have to do to participate is make a quilt. Your level of involvement is completely up to you; however, there are some pretty sweet prizes to be won...
- What do I do after four weeks? After four weeks, if you remain on schedule, you will have a finished quilt top. At that time you can quilt and bind it yourself or send it to a longarm quilter for them to quilt it for you. Some of them even sew binding too! For a full list of longarm quilters, check out this post – The Ultimate Guide to Longarm Quilters in the USA and Canada.
- Where do I donate my quilt? Use this list, The Ultimate Guide to Quilt Donations: A List of Where and How to Donate Quilts, for tips on how and a list of where to donate your completely finished quilt. To my knowledge these organizations do not accept unfinished quilt tops.
- What are the perks?
- Prizes! Every week, by posting your progress to Instagram and using #WeSewTogether2020, you will be entered into that week's giveaway. Each week is sponsored by an amazing company, hand picked by me, to award one lucky person a free prize. You must have a public Instagram account to participate.
- Support. If you're making a Suzy Quilts pattern, use the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group for any and all questions you may have. Follow the #WeSewTogether2020 tag on Instagram to feel apart and inspired by this loving community!
- Can I miss a week and still participate? Yes! Every week we start fresh with prizes, so even if you miss a couple weeks, you're still very much in the game. Prize details and restrictions will be published weekly on the Suzy Quilts Instagram account.
We Sew Together 2020 Schedule
Since we will all be making different quilt patterns, adapt this schedule to fit your needs.
- Week 1, Aug. 26: Pick out fabric and cut all of the pieces.
- Week 2, Sept. 2: Sew blocks.
- Week 3, Sept. 9: Sew rows together.
- Week 4, Sept. 16: Complete your quilt top!
Exclusive We Sew Together 2020 Coupons
Some amazing shops are participating in the sew along for charity not just through making quilts, but also by giving you exclusive coupon codes so you can order supplies at a discount!
20% off all sewing patterns with coupon code SUZY20. Expires September 22, 2020.
Coneflower Quilt Co
25% off all regular priced items with code WEQUILT2020. Expires September 12, 2020
Cotton and Joy
20% off all quilt patterns with coupon code SEWTOGETHER20. Expires September 16, 2020.
Going Coastal Fabrics
20% off all kits and bundles with code QUILTTOGETHER. Expires August 31, 2020. One per customer.
The Grey Finch Company
20% off website sales with code DONATE20. Valid August 19 – September 9, 2020.
Hill Country Cotton
20% off in-stock fabric with code WQT-20. Expires September 6, 2020.
Lamb and Loom
15% off the entire site with code SQ2020. Valid August 26 – September 1, 2020. Excludes pre-orders.
Made BeaYOUtiful Studios
15% off your entire online purchase with code SQCHARITY. Valid August 20 – October 10, 2020. One time use.
20% off printed and PDF patterns with code WESEWTOGETHER2020. Expires September 16, 2020
25% off all PDF patterns with code WeSewTogether2020. Expires September 16, 2020
Sew to Speak
20% off select printed quilting fabric and solids with code TOGETHER2020. Valid August 26 – September 16, 2020. Online shop only. One time use per customer. Cannot be combined with other promotions. Not valid on pre-orders.
20% off your entire order with code WEQUILTTOGETHER2020. Expires September 22, 2020. One-time use per customer.
Suzy Quilts - you're already here!
20% off all quilt patterns with coupon code WESEWTOGETHER. Expires September 16, 2020.
Trace Creek Quilting
25% off longarm quilting and binding services for any quilt being donated. Must mention WeSewTogether and the intended charity on the order form for the discount to be applied. Quilts must arrive in the studio by September 30,2020.
20% off all digital quilt patterns with coupon code SEWTOGETHER20. Expires September 16, 2020.
15% off any in stock fabric purchase online or in store with code WEQUILTTOGETHER. Expires August 31, 2020. Total must be greater than $20, maximum discount is $25. Discount does not apply to any pre-order collections.
25% off all PDF patterns with code TOGETHER25. Valid August 18-September 22, 2020. Cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts. No returns or exchanges.
The Tartan Reel
15% off online purchase with code SEWALONG15. Expires December 31, 2020. One use per email address.
Scribbly Gum Quilt Co
15% off any purchase for the sew along with code WEQUILTTOGETHER. Expires September 5, 2020.
11 thoughts on “We Sew Together 2020: A Sew Along for Charity”
If I may suggest, I also put the name/address of the recipient inside the plastic bag. If something goes awry on it’s journey and the outside label is destroyed, when the post office opens it they will find the place it was meant to go. I only began doing this after a piece of mail for me languished in the PO for months before they found me.
Yes! So smart!!
Yes! I do that now too!
Hi there. This sounds fun! Is any size quilt OK and/or is there a preferred size?
Great question! I think that depends on the charity you pick. If you prefer to make baby-sized quilts, you could probably find a crisis pregnancy center in your area that would love those. A lot of the other charities would most likely prefer throw quilts. However, it’s possible that charities that focus on housing would like twin or full quilts. If you want to play it safe, give the charity a call and ask them if they have a preference.
Hi Quilters…my favorite charity to sew for is Sew Powerful. You can download the pattern and make a cute cross body purse out of the left overs from you quilts. This is what I often do. I have made numerous quilts for Project Linus and Quilts without Borders. Then make a purse for http://www.sewpowerful.org Can we please add them to the list even though it isn’t quilts?
Thank you for your referencing the Sew Powerful.org purse project! I had not heard of them. Watched their videos and in tears! I make baby quilts that I donate to a Crisis Pregnancy center so I love the idea of using leftover fabric to make the purses! The organization promotes self esteem w the girls sewing projects making clothes for orphan in the area. Thank you Suzy for your heart for others. Thankful for this community😍
I’m ready to go! My quilt will be donated to Quilts For Kids-Bakersfield Chapter. We have a great group of volunteers who make “comfort quilts” for children in our area. Quilts For Kids has chapters all across the United States. They have a map on their website to find the one closest to you.
Please consider donating to “Mito Quilts of Hope”, a charity for children and adults with mitochondrial disease. https://m.facebook.com/quilthope/
I will be making a quilt for our local crisis pregnancy center, Lifeline Pregnancy Help Clinic, in Kirksville, MO.
This is an old post, but I had to let you know–I sent my finished We Sew Together quilt to Wrap Them In Love in Auburn, WA, and they posted my quilt in their 2020 gallery!! I just saw it yesterday and I was so happy they received it and were able to give it to a child in need. This charity sewalong has inspired me to make a quilt for charity every year. Thank you, Suzy! <3