Welcome to the Fireside sew along, my quilty friends! I can't wait to see how each of you add your own creativity into the new Fireside quilt pattern! Our sew along officially begins on September 23, 2022, but think of this post as your sew along itinerary. All the information you need to join the sew along can be found here in one handy place.
The Fireside quilt is beginner-friendly and comes with multi-color and limited-color instructions. And I'll be making both during this sew along!
Like our previous sew alongs, the Fireside quilt sew along will feature weekly blog posts full of tips and tricks, prizes, videos, community participation and support...and did we mention PRIZES? And the best part is that each and every one of our sew alongs is always available on the sew along tab on our website. If you fall behind, don't worry! You'll always be able to access all of the information we share during our sew alongs.
Keep reading for everything you need to know for our Fireside quilt sew along!
Fireside Quilt Sew Along
- Who: You! Us! You don't need to sign-up, but there are lots of different ways to participate online.
- What: We will make a throw Fireside quilt. You can make any size you want, but the schedule is written with the throw size in mind. You can purchase the PDF pattern here.
- Where: Everything is online. Sew along updates will be posted on this blog, on Instagram, and in the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group.
- When: September 23 - October 28, 2022
- Why: Follow along with the hashtag (#FiresideQuiltSA) on Instagram and see what hundreds of other quilters are making. It's really inspiring! Plus there are prizes...
Participate and Win Prizes!
- Prizes! Post your progress to Instagram and use #FiresideQuiltSA to be entered into that week's giveaway. Each week is sponsored by an amazing company that will award one lucky participant a free prize! You must have a public Instagram profile to participate in the prize giveaways.
- Skill sharing and support. You have things to offer and possibly things to learn too! Sharing creativity and skills is the best part of sewing as a group. We will do that through:
- Weekly blog posts explaining your "assignment" and helpful tips from yours truly. A new post will go live every Friday.
- A weekly newsletter will land in your inbox every Saturday morning reminding you about the week's prompt. If you're not already signed up for the SQ newsletter, sign up here!
- A Facebook group for any and all questions and for posting progress pics. I loooove hanging out in the Suzy Quilts Patterns FB group. The group dynamic is positive, uplifting, and helpful, and I am always learning from the other members. This group will remain a forum for all SQ patterns, but during the Fireside sew along it will be a great place for questions about the pattern and sew along specifics.
- Surf #FiresideQuiltSA on Instagram to see what others are making and use the hashtag yourself when posting pics!
Fireside Sew Along Schedule
This sew along officially starts on Friday, September 23, but I suggest you start thinking about your fabric for this project now, especially if you plan on ordering something online. Because Fireside is a beginner-friendly pattern, this sew along will only be five quick weeks!
- Week 1, September 23: Pick Fabric. Prize sponsor: Global Fiber Textiles & Notions.
- Week 2, September 30: Cut fabric. Prize sponsor: Crimson Tate.
- Week 3, October 7: Make Block 1. Prize sponsor: Quilts Made with Love.
- Week 4, October 14: Make Blocks 2 and 3. Prize sponsor: Sewing Arts Center.
- Week 5, October 21: Assemble quilt top. Prize sponsor: Trace Creek Quilting.
Learn how to make this limited 4-color Fireside variation here!
Fireside Fabric Requirements
For this sew along, I'll be making not one, but TWO Fireside quilts! I'll be making a multi-colored baby quilt and a scrappy limited-color throw. You'll see tips about both quilts throughout the sew along! To win the final Week 5 grand prize, you'll need to be making a throw or larger.
Here are the Fireside fabric requirements so you can start thinking about what you want to make! In Week 1, I'll cover tips for choosing fabrics for this quilt, but it's never too soon to start thinking about which fabrics you might want to use.
Check out these Fireside quilt blog posts for fabric inspiration!
Featured Quilt Fabric
For both of my Fireside sew along quilts, I'm using Art Gallery Fabrics PURE Solids. These 100% cotton fabrics are finely woven and have a luscious feel. They're perfect for Fireside, a pattern that can be more challenging when using fabrics that have more stretch like linen. Here are lists of my fabrics!
Fireside sew along throw quilt:
- Color 1: Coconut Milk, plus light-colored scraps from my stash for a scrappy look
- Color 2: Patina Green
- Color 3: Fresh Sage
Fireside sew along baby quilt:
- Color 1: Warm Wave
- Color 2: Sweet Mint
- Color 3: Dried Carrot
- Color 4: Mauvelous
- Color 5: Appletini
- Color 6: Crystalline
- Color 7: Olive Oil
- Color 8: Creme de la Creme
- Color 9: Ocean Waves
- Color 10: Honey