No products in the cart.
A sewing table or cabinet can radically change your sewing experience. So if you're in the market, why not have the best sewing table? Think about this scenario...
...You’re in the middle of organizing all of your fabric pieces and supplies on the dining room table for a sewing project. You’re extra proud of how it's looking, when the doorbell rings.
It’s UPS, delivering a box of gorgeous new fabric! Awesome! When you return to the dining room, you find your worst nightmare:
Choose Your Own Nightmare (It's like a choose your own adventure book all about quilting drama):
- The cat has jumped onto the table and vigorously rolled all over your pieces – tumbling blocks to the floor and getting everything out of order.
- Your toddler has decided to “finish your sewing for you” and has mashed all of your supplies into a ball and stuck needles in it in random places.
- Your significant other placed a piping hot… greasy… pizza box right on top of your fabric, and then opened a bottle of shaken soda, which sprayed all over your sewing machine.
- You left the window open and a powerful gust of wind blew everything onto the floor just in time for your new puppy to gleefully bound over every single piece of fabric.
If ANY of the above have ever happened to you, then listen to me. I mean this in the nicest, I-love-you-and-I-care-about-your-future-quits way: You need a sewing table. And possibly a design wall (which is much easier to create than you think.)
A sewing table is your own cat and pizza free sanctuary where your projects can be safe and protected. It’s also a place to spread out, get organized, and sew with stability and confidence. If you don’t have one, you need one. Or at least, you deserve one.
When Considering the Best Sewing Table for You: Remember the 3 S’s:
Sewing tables have a number of key features you can look out for when you’re on the hunt for the perfect new sewing space.
- Stability. You may be able to type, write, or eat at a moderately shaky table, but when you’re sewing, you need serious stability. When your sewing machine is charging ahead at full-speed, you know a shaky table is going to shake. Look for a sturdy, quality sewing table that can handle the stress and power of your machine.
- Storage. Minimalist sewing tables are gorgeous sometimes, but at the end of the day, I want a place to put my half-finished project, and my embarrassingly extensive (AKA awesome) notions collection. Some sewing tables have built-in shelves or drawers that are perfect for the sewist/hoarder like me.
- Surface Area. You know for sure that your sewing table needs to have enough room for your sewing machine… but consider all of the cutting, ironing, and piecing you do on a regular basis. It might be totally awesome to have space for that, right? I actually have my computer set up on mine – which then doubles as a TV so I can Netflix and sew on glorious Friday nights. (I live a rocker lifestyle. Don't even try to keep up.)
The Best Sewing Tables in the Universe
Whether you’re looking for super-storage, extensive surface area, or just a splash of color, Arrow Sewing Cabinets have a huge selection. I love the simplicity and sewist-specific designs of a lot of their spaces. I also think I’m going to cram all the S’s into this post as I can. Don’t try to stop me.
If you are able to pay a little more money to sew in the land of luxury, check out the tables and cabinets at Kangaroo Kabinets. Each “studio” is equipped with storage and usability that only sewists can appreciate. A cool feature about these is that you can invest gradually by adding extenstions later.
If a new table isn’t exactly in your budget, check out Sew Stead. They sell smart sewing machine add-ons that can help you organize your supplies, and extend your space a bit, on a lower budget. The Large Deluxe table has a table, drawer tray and centering ruler that gives you just enough extra features to make you a sewing superstar. (These tables are great for sergers, too!)
If you have less space, like a low-profile, or have house mates that need you to hide your sewing stuff when they’re trying to impress new people, check out folding tables like this sewing/craft center from TDM. It’s a sewing table! No! It’s a totally normal cabinet! This baby can change hide your stash within seconds, if that’s what you’re into!
Sewing tables are seriously game-changers for quilters, and all crafticians alike. They save your sewing projects, and your sanity, and possibly even some of your relationships. Anyone have an awesome sewing set-up they want to share? Send it my way! I’m always looking for new ways to organize!
And if you're interesting in reading more from my "Best of" series, check out:
- Best Portable Sewing Machines
- Best Quality Sewing Thread
- Best Inexpensive Sewing Machines
- Best Cutting Mats for Quilters
- Best Sewing Scissors
- Best Quilting Rulers
- Best Rotary Cutter
- Best Embroidery Machine for Your Budget
- Best Seam Ripper
- Best Sewing Machine for Kids
- Best Fabric Starch
- Best Fabric Shops Online
- Best Quilting Sewing Machine for You & Your Budget