Welcome to the Thrive quilt sew along!! (#ThriveQuiltSA on Instagram)! Click here to get your Thrive quilt pattern and scroll to the bottom of this post for this week's prize details. If you are new to SQ sew alongs, check out the Sew Along tab to read up on what we've done in the past.
Making a quilt in real time with the group is a lot of fun, but if the timing doesn't work out, you can read the posts and follow along at your own pace. These sew along posts will always be here for you. 🙂
What Does a Suzy Quilts Sew Along Look Like?
- What is a sew along? A sew along is when a group of people (you) get together virtually (a.k.a. online) and sew the same pattern (Thrive) over a set amount of time. The really exciting thing about a sew along is that with a potentially tricky sewing pattern (this one includes setting triangles with bias edges), nobody has to muddle through alone.
There will be lots of support via Instagram, Facebook and through this very blog (click the sew along drop down tab to always see the latest post).
- How do I join the sew along? There's no official sign-up and technically the only thing you have to do to participate is make a Thrive quilt. Your level of involvement is completely up to you; however, there are some pretty sweet prizes to be won...
- Sew along perks!
- Prizes! Every week, by posting your progress to Instagram and using #ThriveQuiltSA, you will be entered into that week's giveaway. Each week is sponsored by an amazing company, hand picked by me, to award one lucky person a free prize. See below for this week's rules and photo prompt.
- Support. This includes a weekly blog post explaining what we plan to accomplish, helpful tips, and what I’m working on. A new post will go live every Wednesday morning.
- A weekly newsletter will go out the following Saturday morning reminding you about that week's prompt. If you're not already signed up for the SQ newsletter, sign up here! And finally, the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group is available for questions that we can answer as a team or I can answer myself. I will also be posting videos and Live Q&A sessions in both the FB group and on Instagram.
- Can I miss some weeks and still participate? Yes! Every week we start fresh with prizes, so even if you miss a couple weeks, you're still very much in the game. To win the final prize (TBA), you must show a photo of a finished throw or larger Thrive quilt top. Prize details and restrictions will be published in each week's blog post.
- When is the sew along? The official beginning is Wednesday, July 1, 2020.
Veeeery Optional Meditations and Thrive Challenges
THRIVE, verb: 1. to grow vigorously 2. to progress toward a goal despite circumstances
As I mentioned in the digital pattern, Thrive is the second design in a four-part series that represents the four seasons of a year as well as the changing seasons of our lives. Since meditation and awareness have become important parts of my life, I like to think of ways to incorporate them into my everyday activities.
During the Grow sew along I included some optional meditation prompts. In my own personal effort to thrive, I decided to add some actionable steps to my meditation practice. I want to intentionally take time to meditate AND take time to read books that challenge me. I want to live in awareness AND donate to causes that matter. I need to relax through sewing pretty quilts AND work to make my community more inclusive and empathetic.
In a nutshell, I would like to grow with you and thrive with you and SEW WITH YOU! So, during this sew along I'll be personally adding some practical challenges to the meditation prompts and just in case you want to do any of them with me, I'll put them in the schedule below.
Thrive Sew Along Weekly Schedule
- Week 1, July 1: Task: Pick fabric, gather supplies, and choose your pattern layout (if different from the original)
Meditation: What is your intention for this time? To learn? To relax? To work through some anxious energy? Sit for a moment and set a clear intention. This can change day to day!
Thrive Challenge: Support a local business in your area, especially if it's one that is struggling due to COVID-19.
- Week 2, July 8: Task: Cut all pieces (Fig. 1-3)
Meditation: Hold some of your fabric in your hands, close your eyes, and feel its weight and texture. What do you love about fabric?
Thrive Challenge: Check in on a neighbor or friend. These are the people woven into your life. Make sure that the weft and warp of your community is thriving.
- Week 3, July 15: Task: Sew 21 blocks (Fig. 4-8)
Meditation: Before turning on your iron or sewing machine, pause for a minute to close your eyes and take some deep breaths. Listen to your body’s natural rhythm. Simply be in this moment.
Thrive Challenge: Check in on yourself. If you need help or encouragement, don't be afraid to let someone know.
- Week 4, July 22: Task: Sew 20 blocks
Meditation: Close your eyes. Let your shoulders relax. How are you currently thriving? Remember, no judgement. 😉
Thrive Challenge: Move that body! Stretch, dance, walk, drop and do a few push ups – create some energy with your body.
- Week 5, July 29: Task: Sew all blocks into rows (Fig. 9-12)
Meditation: Sit by your sewing machine. Breathe in with the count of one and out with the count of two. After counting to ten, start again. Do this a few times or until you feel relaxed. Think about how grateful you are for your sewing machine. What a blessing it is!
Thrive Challenge: Give. Give a donation online or some food to a neighbor or some time to a person who needs support. Write down a specific way you will give this week.
- Week 6, August 5: Task: Sew rows together into a quilt top (Fig. 12-15)
Meditation: After taking some breaths and feeling at ease, lift your heart up and picture warm sunshine streaming onto your face. Enjoy this sense of warmth and lightness. Enjoy the feeling of being happy in your accomplishments!
Thrive Challenge: Commit to continuing these challenges. Write reminders and schedule them on your calendar.
Welcome to Week 1: Let's Pick Our Fabric!
Hooray for pretty fabric! My guess is that when it comes to picking fabric, you fall on one end of the pleasure spectrum. Sifting through fabric and planning a quilt brings you immense pleasure OR the whole deciding process makes you sweaty and you wish someone else would just do it for you. Quilt planning is a polarizing point!
If you fall into the second category, I have a blog post that will help you out, 6 Ways to Tackle Your Fear of Wasting Fabric. This post includes practical tips for taking the fear out of fabric. Plus there's an old pregnancy pic of me from 2018. haha!
Pages 16-18 of the Thrive pattern include color variations. Remember, you don't need to use 100% of a color variation if you only like 75% of something. For example, if you like the block alteration design "Super Bloom" on page 18, but bright coral is not your color, substitute a different color and get a similar effect!
Have FUN with Fat Quarters!
Now is the time to let your freak flag fly! Use all the crazy prints, patterns, and colors! The Thrive pattern is a twist on the classic chevron motif, so there aren't a lot of color theory rules to keep you contained.
You don't need to worry too much about composition or balance. Just go for it!! See more Thrive quilt pics in this blog post!
See how well busy prints work in this pattern? You can actually purchase this exact kit at DuckaDilly.
In this sew along I pulled fabric from my stash. Apparently I hoard pretty purples because daaaaang this pile of fabric is scrummy yummm!
Extra Sewing Supplies
The reason I like these extra notions is because when sewing lots of quilt blocks, it's nice to sew a little, press a little, then get back to sewing. If you have a pressing station set up right next to your sewing machine, you don't have to go anywhere to do it! Your Fitbit won't like you, but you'll probably have a better time.
The Week 1 Prize
The online fabric shop, Fabric Stork is sponsoring our first week of the Thrive sew along! If picked as the winner you will get a FREE quilt kit, including backing and binding! The exact kit is pictured below. This kit typically retails for $122.50.
Also, from July 1-7, Lamb and Loom fabric shop is offering 15% off all fabric with the coupon code thrivequiltsa.
How to Win
- Post a pic to Instagram. The photo prompt for Instagram this week is to post a picture of either your fabric and/or mockup OR an introduction photo telling us about yourself. Use #ThriveQuiltSA in the caption.
- You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Each photo posted is an entry and you can enter as many times as you want in a single week. Once the week is over, those posts do not count in the next week's giveaway. Every week we start fresh.
- Your photo must be posted between 12:00 a.m. CT on Wednesday, July 1, 2020 and 1:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, July 7, 2020.
- This prize is open internationally.
- The winner will be picked randomly from all qualifying posts and announced at approximately 4:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, July 7, 2020.