Welcome to the Modern Fans Quilt Sew-Along! Click here to get your Modern Fans quilt pattern and scroll to the bottom of this post for this week's prize details. If you are just hearing about this sew-along for the first time, I encourage you to read this introductory blog post on all of the details, prizes and schedule. If you would prefer a shorter, bulleted list, I got you covered:
- What is a sew-along? A sew-along is when a group of people get together virtually (a.k.a. online) and sew the same pattern over a set amount of time. The really exciting thing about a sew-along is that with a potentially tricky sewing pattern (this one uses curves), nobody has to muddle through alone. There will be lots of support via Instagram, Facebook and through this very blog (click the sew-along drop down tab to always see the latest post).
- How do I join the sew-along? There's no official sign-up and technically the only thing you have to do to participate is make a Modern Fans quilt. Your level of involvement is completely up to you.
- Sew-along perks!
- Prizes! Every week, by posting your progress to Instagram and using #ModernFansSA, you will be entered into that week's giveaway. Each week is sponsored by an amazing company, hand picked by me, to award one lucky person a free prize. See below for this week's rules and photo prompt.
- Support. This includes a weekly blog post explaining what we plan to accomplish, helpful tips, and what I’m working on. A new post will go live every Wednesday morning around 8:00am CT (I'm in Chicago...so that time zone). A weekly newsletter will go out the following Thursday morning reminding you about that week's prompt. If you're not already signed up for the SQ newsletter, sign up here! And finally, the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group is available for questions that we can answer as a team or I can answer myself. I will also be posting videos and Live Q&A sessions in both the FB group and on Instagram.
- When is the sew-along?
- Week 1, Sept. 12: Pick fabric, gather supplies, choose your pattern layout
- Week 2, Sept. 19: Cut and chain piece strips, cut out all templates
- Week 3, Sept. 26: Sew 14 blocks
- Week 4, Oct. 3: Sew 14 blocks
- Week 5, Oct. 10: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 6, Oct. 17: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 7, Oct. 24: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 8, Oct. 31: Chain piece rows together
- Week 9, Nov. 7: Sew rows together for a finished quilt top!
- Can I miss some weeks and still participate? Yes! Every week we start fresh with prizes, so even if you miss a couple weeks, you're still very much in the game. To win the grand prize of a BERNINA 350 PE sewing machine, you must show a photo of a finished throw or larger Modern Fans quilt top. See this blog post for more grand prize rules.
Welcome Week 1 of the Modern Fans Sew-Along!
In this first week we are starting off slowly by simply getting organized. I love to get all of my ducks, or in this case, notions, in a row before launching into a new, exciting quilt-venture. Week 1 includes gathering supplies, choosing a pattern layout and picking fabric.
Modern Fans is such a versatile quilt pattern, there are many different ways to make it unique. Check out this blog post to see more finished Modern Fans quilts and this blog post to see multiple layouts and color options.
Week1: Gather Supplies
Supplies for making the Modern Fans quilt pattern are pretty basic. I do, however, recommend a few extra notions that are optional. I just filmed a live video on supplies and cutting in the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group. That video will always be available for viewing.
Modern Fans Supplies
- Modern Fans quilt pattern
- Fabric as required in the pattern (see Fabric Requirements chart below or reference your pattern)
- Basic Quilting Supplies
- Temporary marker
The following supplies aren't neccessary, but they come in handy and you'll probably use them in future projects.
- Plastic template sheets
- 7 ½" square ruler (this will help you square up your blocks)
- Rotating cutting mat
- Small rotary cutter (makes cutting curves easier)
- Magnetic pin bracelet (cause it's awesome)
- Starch or a Tailor's Clapper
Below you can see the plastic template sheets I use. These come as gridded or clear.
Week1: Choose Your Modern Fans Pattern Layout
As mentioned before, check out this blog post for more great layout ideas. Below is the layout I've created just for this sew-along. It's inspired by my good friend Corenna and her skills as a master gardener. I've been wanting to make her a special quilt for some time, but it wasn't until I saw this Nani Iro double gauze that I finally saw the pieces fall into place. This floral will be the backing fabric.
I used the colors from that fabric to create a unique layout that focuses on using Blocks 2 and 3 from the pattern. You will notice that this design does not use Template-A.
Week 1: Pick Fabric
Since the layout I created is different than the original Modern Fans layout in the pattern, my fabric requirements will need to change. To figure that out, I separated each of the blocks and decided how many of each template I would need to cut. I then used the cutting chart on page 3 of the pattern to figure out how many templates I could get from a width of fabric (42") strip.
I know that sounds complicated, but once you figure it out for one template, I have no doubt you'll zip through the next.
Week 1: The Prize!
Our kickoff week is sponsored by one of my favorite fabric shops, Cottoneer. Cottoneer is generously donating a $100 gift certificate to the winner of Week 1.
How to Win the Week 1 Prize:
- Photo prompt for Instagram: Post a picture of either 1. your fabric, layout and/or supplies OR 2. an introduction photo telling us about yourself. Use #ModernFansSA.
- You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Each photo posted is an entry and you can enter as many times as you want in a single week. Once the week is over, those posts do not count in the next week's giveaway. Every week we start fresh.
- Your photo must be posted between 12:00 a.m. CT on Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2018 and 1:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018.
- This prize is open to international contestants.
- The winner will be picked randomly from all qualifying posts and announced at approximately 4:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018.
Just a reminder that the grand prize for finishing your quilt top by the final week is a BERNINA 350 PE sewing machine! See this post for more details.
In addition to awarding one prize winner, Cottoneer is providing a coupon for all sew-along participants! Use coupon code ILOVESCRAPPY to get 10% off orders of $50 or more. This offer is good through 9/30/2018.
Are you excited about the Modern Fans sew-along? Let me know! This is my first time hosting a sew-along and I love hearing from you.
37 thoughts on “Modern Fans Quilt Sew-Along: Week 1”
I am super excited!! Unique pattern and you are so helpful throughout..I am going with the zen fabrics as i really like the calm the fabrics give….and the chance to win prizes is the icing on the cake
I’m not on Facebook, what is it you’re talking about on Wednesday mornings? Can’t seem to find it on instagram🤔 I am getting your newsletter & purchased the #modernfans pattern for the sew along
On Wednesday mornings I will post a new weekly sew-along prompt here at suzyquilts.com.
Can’t wait!! Been counting down the days!
I have always avoided curves, but am excited to try them with your pattern!
You totally got this!
I can’t wait! Staying on schedule will force me to finish the quilt on time! I’ve chosen fabrics that are way out of my colour palette!! Thanks for your help so far!
This is going to be fun! I’m making a throw; I hope sewing curves won’t be too difficult for me.
I am so excited to do this! Just out of curiosity- about how many are participating?
That’s great! And since there’s no official sign up, I really couldn’t say how many are participating. We may need to wait until the end to see how many entries there are in the final week.
My first time doing a sew-a-long… so ready!
Me too! haha 😉
Got my fabric today. Excited to begin! Does ‘completed’ for the grand prize include quilted or just the top done?
Just the top needs to be finished 🙂
Hi! First Sew Alonger here! Question–how are the winners being selected for the prizes? Is it random or based on how pretty our instagram post is?? 🙂
Welcome, welcome! And don’t worry about taking hours to style and edit a photo, the selection process is totally random. I have actually hired an outside party collect all qualifying posts based on each week’s prompts and select a winner through a random number generator.
Just wondering when you say to post a picture of fabric and layout does it have to be in the same picture to qualify for the prize entry? I posted separate pictures of each.
That works just fine. As long as there’s something in the photo that relates to the prompt, you’re in. 🙂
I’m so excited about this sew along, I am a late night and early, early morning quilter 😊 I can’t have any interruptions so the house is nice and quiet except for me talking to myself 🤪 thank you for putting all this together 😁
I’m excited that you’re excited!!
First time doing a sew along, second time sewing curves (first time being your Propeller quilt). So excited to get started! Just finalized my fabrics
I’m already having fun! Is it okay if we move the blocks around a little bit from your design? They’re the same blocks just in a little different layout than your last layout. I LOVE your pattern-it’s so versatile – I had so much fun with EQ8, changing the colors and moving the blocks!
You can do anything you like. Be creative!
really cool looking
I am excited to join in on this. I’ve recently done a few curves, and I have decided I really like them 😜
Due to hurricane Florence I have 4 of my grandchildren staying at my house, sew… My start might be slow.
I have a few fat quarter bundles I plan to use, and some solids to throw in the mix.
I’m very happy I saw something on Instagram about your quilts💚💚💚
I do not know how to post to your Instagram site, help
Hey there! You actually do not post to my Instagram site, you just post a photo on your own Instagram account. Then my using the #ModernFansSA I am able to see it.
thank you, hopefully I did it correctly. using my stash of fabrics