Are you ready for something totally different and crAzY?! Well too bad. We're still sewing blocks. Welcome to Week 7 of the Modern Fans Quilt Sew-Along! A couple weeks ago we set the cruise control and we're still sitting back and letting her ride.
BLOCKS! I'm talking about blocks. We made them before and we're still making them now. This is THE LAST WEEK of my broken-record-block spiel. Next week we're slamming our foot on the gas pedal and starting to see these blocks form a quilt.
But I'm getting ahead of myself. This week you only get block talk.
If you're learning about this sew-along for the first time, jump on board! It's really not too late. Really. This is actually the last week I'm going to say that with some honesty. Next week I might say it...but I won't really mean it.
Here's a blog post with all of the info you need and below is a quick recap of the schedule. If you ever feel lost and want to know what's going on with the sew-along, click the Sew-Along tab underneath the BLOG category in the toolbar.
Sew-Along Schedule Recap
- Week 1, Sept. 12: Pick fabric, gather supplies, choose your pattern layout
- Week 2, Sept. 19: Cut and chain piece strips, cut out all templates
- Week 3, Sept. 26: Sew 14 blocks
- Week 4, Oct. 3: Sew 14 blocks
- Week 5, Oct. 10: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 6, Oct. 17: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 7, Oct. 24: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 8, Oct. 31: Chain piece rows together
- Week 9, Nov. 7: Sew rows together for a finished quilt top!
- Plastic template sheets (The Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group has come with some really unique alternatives to these plastic template sheets. Some of them include cardboard from frozen pizza boxes and these flexible cutting boards.)
- 7 ½" square ruler (this is really going to help you square up your blocks)
- Starch (I starch my fabric before cutting and then use steam and a Tailor's Clapper when pressing blocks.)
- Small rotary cutter (makes cutting curves easier)
- Rotating Cutting Mat
- Magnetic pin bracelet (cause it's awesome)
Sew 12 Blocks
This is the last week I'm going to have you sewing blocks, so enjoy the slow monotony while you can. Check out the Week 3 post for more videos and tips on sewing curves and trimming blocks. I also posted some troubleshooting tips if you are still getting tripped up. Check out the Week 5 post for those.
Week 7: The Prize!
Ready for this week's fabulous prize? Stash Fabrics is giving away a $50 gift certificate to spend any way you like at their huge online store. Did you know Stash Fabrics carries every single Kona color AND allows 1/4 yd. cuts? How fun! You could get so many 1/4 yd. cuts for $50!
How to Win the Week 7 Prize:
- Photo prompt for Instagram: Post a picture of some finished Modern Fans quilt blocks and use #ModernFansSA. You don't need to post 12 blocks, just some sewing progress.
- You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Each photo posted is an entry and you can enter as many times as you want in a single week. Once the week is over, those posts do not count in the next week's giveaway. Every week we start fresh.
- This prize is open to international contestants. Yay!
- Your photo must be posted between 12:00 a.m. CT on Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2018 and 1:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018.
- The winner will be picked randomly from all qualifying posts and announced on Instagram at approximately 4:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018.
Clarification on the grand prize: Just a reminder that the grand prize for finishing your quilt top by the final week (Week 9) is a BERNINA 350 PE sewing machine! To enter the Week 9 giveaway you must post a picture of a finished quilt top that is at least a throw-size or larger. The quilt top can be in various stages of being quilted or it can be completely quilted and finished. We just need to see that you have pieced all of your blocks together.
If you post that picture during Week 7 or Week 8 IT WILL NOT ENTER you in the grand prize giveaway. Just like every other week, Week 9 starts completely fresh with a clean slate.