Welcome! Welcome, one and all to the Modern Fans sew-along! Wahooo! This post will (hopefully) clear up any questions you have on the who, what, when, and where, but before jumping in with an itemized list of deets, I want to share with you why I get so very excited about this particular sew-along. It can be boiled down into one glorious word. Curves.
Maybe you’re a curve-lovin’ queen, or maybe sewing curves has intimidated you for years. Whatever your current relationship status is with sewing curved edges, I want to add some group fun. Let’s have a curv-o-licious party together!
I designed the Modern Fans quilt in 2015. At that point, even after 14 years of quilting, I had never sewn a curve before, but I thought to myself, “What’s the fuss? It can’t be that hard.” And you know what? I was right! It really wasn’t. With minimal practice, I was sewing beautifully curved quilt blocks that looked much more complex than they really were. I had such a feeling of accomplishment!
Quiltketeers, I want to share that empowering-warrior-princess feeling with you. So what does a Suzy Quilts sew-along look like? Well, we’re going to be discovering the answer to that together because this Modern Fans sew-along is actually my first sew-along...ever....so yay for trying new things!
But you know what? Just like when I thought, “What’s the fuss? It can’t be that hard.” I’m diving into hosting this thing face (plant) first. We’ll be in it together!
Modern Fans Sew-Along Facts
Now for that itemized list. Although I love to be wordy and explain and chat and discuss all things, I think in this case a bulleted list will serve you better. I'll try very hard to restrain myself.
What the Heck is a Sew-Along?
Oh dang, I was totally going to give you a list, but now I'm back to over-explaining things. Quiltsplaining, if you will. But to those of you who have not heard of a Sew-Along or Quilt-Along before, let me give you a quick rundown.
In a nutshell, a sew-along is when a group of the coolest and most talented people in the world get together virtually (a.k.a. online) and sew the same pattern over a set amount of time. The really exciting thing is that with a potentially tricky sewing pattern (ahum...curves) nobody has to muddle through alone. There will be lots of support via Instagram and Facebook and through this very blog.
Why the Heck is a Sew-Along?
Don't think too hard about the phrasing of that question. Why, you ask? Here comes that list I've been promising:
- Prizes, baby! Every week by posting your progress to Instagram and using #ModernFansSA you will be entered into that week's giveaway. Each week is sponsored by an amazing company, hand picked by me, to award one lucky person a free prize mailed directly to your door! You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Support. Curvettes, I’m here for you – in mind, body, and quilt. Here’s what support for this sew along will include:
- A weekly blog post explaining what we plan to accomplish, helpful tips, and what I’m working on. This will include instructions for the week, tips, and reposts of the quilts you’re making. A new post will go live every Wednesday morning around 8:00am Central (I'm in Chicago...so that time zone).
- A weekly newsletter will go out the following Thursday morning reminding you about that week's prompt. If you're not already signed up for the SQ newsletter, sign up here!
- A Facebook group for any and all questions that we can answer as a team or I can answer myself. Ya’ll know how obsessed I am with the Suzy Quilts Patterns FB group. The group dynamic is positive, uplifting, helpful, and I am always learning from the other members. This group will remain a forum for all SQ patterns, but during the Modern Fans Sew-Along will be a great place for questions too about the pattern and sew-along specifically. I will also be posting videos and Live Q&A sessions in both the FB group and on Instagram.
- Skill sharing. I sew curves a certain way, but someone else may have another way. The great thing about sharing knowledge is that you can gather up everyone's opinions and then form your own! I bet we'll all come out on the other side with new skills.
When: Wednesday, September 12, 2018
We will be starting September 12, but you can hop in at any time. These blog posts and the FB videos won't expire, so even after the sew-along is over, you're still welcome to participate!
Duration: 9 weeks, with the final week starting on November 7, 2018.
- Week 1: Pick fabric, gather supplies, choose your pattern layout (Don't fret about picking fabric in time. I'll post more about this before the Sept. 12 kick-off date.)
- Week 2: Cut and chain piece strips, cut out all templates
- Week 3: Sew 14 blocks
- Week 4: Sew 14 blocks
- Week 5: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 6: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 7: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 8: Chain piece rows together
- Week 9: Sew rows together for a finished quilt top!
How Do I Participate?
There's no official sign-up and technically the only thing you have to do to participate is make a Modern Fans quilt. Your level of involvement is completely up to you. As mentioned in the "Why the Heck is a Sew-Along" section, ways to get involved include:
- Sign up for the weekly newsletter to be reminded of the week's prompts.
- Check back here on the blog for weekly prompts and answers to comments.
- Join the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group for more group discussion and videos.
- Use hashtag #ModernFansSA on Instagram when posting pics so that you can win prizes!
What We'll Make & Supplies You'll Need
The Modern Fans pattern includes king, queen/full, twin, throw, and baby quilt sizes plus instructions for an 18" square pillow. Feel free to make any of those quilt sizes during this sew along. I will be leading the group in making a 56" x 56" throw quilt. The throw quilt contains 64 - 7" finished blocks.
Sponsors & Prizes
What we've aaaaall been waiting for!!! Each of these prizes is a minimum value of $50 with a very sweet grand prize for finishing your throw or larger quilt top. (The quilt does not need to be quilted – just fully pieced together.) And remember, the only way to enter each week's giveaway is to post a picture of your Modern Fans quilt progress using #ModernFansSA on Instagram. You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
Prizes will be awarded at the end of the week at 4:00pm Central Time. (eg. Week 1 entries will be open at 12:00 a.m. CT on Sept. 12 and officially end at 1:00 p.m. on Tues, Sept. 18. The prize for that week will be announced at 4:00pm.) Weekly winners will be picked randomly, however contestants must have completed the prompt for that specific week in order to qualify. More details and guidelines will be given in each week's blog post, so it is important to read each one to make sure your instagram post meets the qualifications. The schedule of sponsored prizes is subject to change.
- Sept. 12 - Cottoneer - $100 gift certificate
- Sept. 19 - The QuiltMate and Sulky Thread - 1 Large Classic QuiltMate and winner's choice of Cotton + Steel thread pack by Sulky Threads
- Sept. 26 - Fabric Bubb - $50 gift certificate
- Oct. 3 - Oliso - 1 Smart Iron
- Oct. 10 - Fabricworm - $100 gift certificate
- Oct. 17 - Bungalow Quilting & Yarn and Sulky Thread - 3 quilting books full of modern quilt patterns and winner's choice of Cotton + Steel thread pack by Sulky Threads
- Oct. 24 - Stash Fabrics - $50 gift certificate
- Oct. 31 - Sew Shabby Quilting - $50 gift certificate
- Nov. 7 - BERNINA - BERNINA USA has generously agreed to donate a B 350 PE sewing machine!
To win the grand prize of a BERNINA sewing machine you must finish a throw quilt top or larger. You must post a full shot of your quilt top to Instagram using #ModernFansSA during Week 9 before the deadline. You most follow both @suzyquilts and @berninausa.
ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older. The following individuals are not eligible to enter or win a prize: employees, contractors, directors, and officers of BERNINA of America, LLC. (“Sponsor”), its parent, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, and the web design, advertising, fulfillment, legal, judging, administrative, and Sweepstakes agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment, and execution of this Sweepstakes (collectively, “Sweepstakes Parties”), and the immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, and spouse or “step” of each) and those living in the same household of each such person (those persons whether related or not who live in the same residence for at least three months during the twelve-month period preceding the start date of the Sweepstakes). SWEEPSTAKES PERIOD: The Sweepstakes begins November 7, 2018, at 12:00 a.m. Central Time (“CT”) and ends on November 13, at 1:00 p.m. CT (the “Sweepstakes Period”). The Application server is the official clock for this Sweepstakes.