No products in the cart.
It's your tour guide, here! Back from vacation and ready to lead the way into another week of pretty much doing the same thing we've been doing – sewing blocks. Welcome to Week 6 of the Modern Fans Quilt Sew-Along! We just gave away $100 to Fabricworm so I'm still feeling fresh and excited. You?
If you're learning about this sew-along for the first time, jump on board! It's really not too late. Really. Here's a blog post with all of the info you need and below is a quick recap of the schedule. If you ever feel lost and want to know what's going on with the sew-along, click the Sew-Along tab underneath the BLOG category in the toolbar.
Sew-Along Schedule Recap
- Week 1, Sept. 12: Pick fabric, gather supplies, choose your pattern layout
- Week 2, Sept. 19: Cut and chain piece strips, cut out all templates
- Week 3, Sept. 26: Sew 14 blocks
- Week 4, Oct. 3: Sew 14 blocks
- Week 5, Oct. 10: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 6, Oct. 17: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 7, Oct. 24: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 8, Oct. 31: Chain piece rows together
- Week 9, Nov. 7: Sew rows together for a finished quilt top!
- Plastic template sheets (The Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group has come with some really unique alternatives to these plastic template sheets. Some of them include cardboard from frozen pizza boxes and these flexible cutting boards.)
- 7 ½" square ruler (this is really going to help you square up your blocks)
- Starch (I starch my fabric before cutting and then use steam and a Tailor's Clapper when pressing blocks.)
- Small rotary cutter (makes cutting curves easier)
- Rotating Cutting Mat
- Magnetic pin bracelet (cause it's awesome)
Still Sewing Those Curves - 12 Blocks Total
We're still doing it. We're still sewing those curves. Check out the Week 3 post for more videos and tips on sewing curves and trimming blocks.
I also posted some troubleshooting tips if you are still getting tripped up. Check out the Week 5 post for those.
Week 6: The Prize!
Bungalow Quilting & Yarn AND Sulky Threads are sponsoring our sew-along this week. The prize includes 3 quilting books full of modern quilt patterns and winner's choice of Cotton + Steel thread pack by Sulky Threads.
How to Win the Week 6 Prize:
- Photo prompt for Instagram: Post a picture of some finished Modern Fans quilt blocks and use #ModernFansSA. You don't need to post 12 blocks, just some sewing progress.
- You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Each photo posted is an entry and you can enter as many times as you want in a single week. Once the week is over, those posts do not count in the next week's giveaway. Every week we start fresh.
- Soooo sorry international Quiltketeers, this prize is only open to residents of the U.S.A., excluding Alaska and Hawaii. This is the last prize that won't include international participants, so just get through this week. Still love you.
- Your photo must be posted between 12:00 a.m. CT on Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018 and 1:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2018.
- The winner will be picked randomly from all qualifying posts and announced on Instagram at approximately 4:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2018.
Check out my favorite notions!
- How to Choose the Right Quilt Batting
- The Best Sewing Table
- The Best Quality Thread: Part 1 and Part 2
- 5 Best Cutting Mats for Quilters
- Best Rotary Cutter
- The 4 Best Quilting Rulers
- The Best Iron for Sewing
- The World's Best Sewing Scissors
- Your Guide to Finding the Best Thimble
- Best Pins for Quilting
- The Best Quilt Marking Tools
- Fusible Batting Tape: Why You Need It and How to Use It.
- 8 Things You Never Knew About a Tailor's Clapper
- 5 Types & Sizes of Hand Quilting Needles
- Must-Have Quilting Tools