No products in the cart.
We are almost over the hill in our Modern Fans Quilt Sew-Along! Welcome to week 4. This week we're simply doing the same thing as last week – sewing 14 blocks. At this point you most likely have your fabric picked and templates cut, but you know what? Even if you don't, there's still time for you to catch up.
To tell you the truth, I'm probably going to be saying that until Week 8 of this 9 week sew-along, because I really do think that once you get rockin' and rollin' with those curves, you will cruise through at a rate you didn't think possible. If you ever feel lost and want to know what's going on with the sew-along, click the Sew-Along tab underneath the BLOG category in the toolbar.
If you're learning about this sew-along for the first time, jump on board! Here's a a blog post with all of the info you need and below is a quick recap of the schedule:
Sew-Along Schedule Recap
- Week 1, Sept. 12: Pick fabric, gather supplies, choose your pattern layout
- Week 2, Sept. 19: Cut and chain piece strips, cut out all templates
- Week 3, Sept. 26: Sew 14 blocks
- Week 4, Oct. 3: Sew 14 blocks
- Week 5, Oct. 10: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 6, Oct. 17: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 7, Oct. 24: Sew 12 blocks
- Week 8, Oct. 31: Chain piece rows together
- Week 9, Nov. 7: Sew rows together for a finished quilt top!
- Modern Fans quilt pattern
- Fabric as required in the pattern (see Fabric Requirements chart below) OR in your unique layout. See this blog post for layout alternatives and fabric requirements.
- Basic Quilting Supplies
- Temporary marker
Extended Supply List
- Plastic template sheets (The Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group has come with some really unique alternatives to these plastic template sheets. Some of them include cardboard from frozen pizza boxes and these flexible cutting boards.)
- 7 ½" square ruler (this is really going to help you square up your blocks)
- Starch (I starch my fabric before cutting and then use steam and a Tailor's Clapper when pressing blocks.)
- Small rotary cutter (makes cutting curves easier)
- Rotating Cutting Mat
- Magnetic pin bracelet (cause it's awesome)
Sewing Curves Help
Sewing curves is brand new to a lot of you so I want to be as helpful as possible in assuring your success. Check out the Week 3 post for more tips on sewing curves and trimming your blocks. As a reminder, the Suzy Quilts Patterns Facebook group is a great place to ask your specific questions and get lots of encouragement.
It's also a great place to watch live videos and catch up on old live videos all about sewing this Modern Fans quilt pattern. If Facebook isn't your thing, you can watch those same videos on IGTV. You don't need an Instagram account to watch.
Week 4: The Prize!
We just awarded @evamaestextile a $50 gift certificate to Fabric Bubb for winning the Week 3 Instagram giveaway. For a full list of the sponsors and future prizes, check out this blog post.
Ready for the amazing prize for this week? You're going to love it. I'm actually pretty upset that I can't win it... Anyway, the prize for Week 4 is a FREE OLISO TG1600 Smart Iron! That is a $170 value FOR FREE!! I'm freaking out. Are you freaking out? I'm freaking out FOR YOU!
The winner gets to pick between their favorite color too! The choice is between yellow and pink. And since OLISO is such a great company, they are also offering all of you 20% off PLUS free shipping if you use code suzyquilts20 at checkout.
How to Win the Week 4 Prize
- Photo prompt for Instagram: Post a picture of some finished Modern Fans quilt blocks and use #ModernFansSA. You don't need to post 14 blocks, just some sewing progress.
- You must have a public Instagram profile to participate.
- Each photo posted is an entry and you can enter as many times as you want in a single week. Once the week is over, those posts do not count in the next week's giveaway. Every week we start fresh.
- Soooo sorry international Quiltketeers, this prize is only open to residents of the U.S.A., excluding Alaska and Hawaii. Next week, I promise to include you.
- Your photo must be posted between 12:00 a.m. CT on Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018 and 1:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018.
- The winner will be picked randomly from all qualifying posts and announced on Instagram at approximately 4:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018.
Just a reminder that the grand prize for finishing your quilt top by the final week is a BERNINA 350 PE sewing machine! See this post for more details.
Give it to me straight, people. How's it going? Are you into curves? Do you feel like this sew-along is helping you sew a quilt pattern you may not have tried otherwise? I have another "potentially tricky" quilt pattern in the works for 2019 and wondering if a sew-along is the most helpful way to go. I'd love to hear your feedback!